Sunday, January 17, 2010

Home Made Mayo

What do you do when you opened a tin of tuna, chopped up a bunch of celery and then find that you have no mayo in the house? You make your own mayo! That's exactly what I did (albeit 1 day later because I don't have any mustard at home either :P)

Well, I've finally bought the dijon mustard from the supermarket and set to work making my first batch of mayo. I've gone through the internet for home made mayo recipes and they basically use quite the same proportions but I've made a little adjustment here and there to my taste and here's what I used:


1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of lemon juce
1/2 cup of oil (the suggestion's to use a light-tasting oil so it won't mar the taste of your mayo)
1 teaspoon of salt (to taste)


Setting the whisk on medium, I whisked together the egg yolk and dijon. When they are well mixed, I dribble in the oil, little by little to make sure they bind together well. As you whisk away, the mixture should look creamy and 'together'. Finally, add in the lemon juice and salt and whisk away to combine everything.


Voila! Creamy mayo, with a fresh tang. Sunshine!


And straighaway, I made myself a mini tuna mayo sub topped with green olives. Oh I added a few shakes of cayenne pepper to the tuna mayo too!

Bon Apetite!

No comments: